The boundary survey proposes three options affecting Hunters Run and neighboring communities. They include
Option A: The communities of Hunters Run, Marian Woods, Poplar Grove, and Poplar Park will be reassigned from Poplar Tree ES to Brookfield ES.
Option B: The communities of Hunters Run, Marian Woods, Poplar Grove, and Poplar Park will be reassigned from Poplar Tree ES to Brookfield ES.
Option C: The communities of Hunters Run, Marian Woods, Poplar Grove, and Poplar Park will remain unchanged, continuing to send their children to Poplar Tree ES.
Residents of Hunters Run, Poplar Park, Poplar Grove, and Marian Woods should be concerned by options A and B. Compared to Poplar Tree ES, Brookfield ES represents a stark downgrade in testing scores and increased documented disciplinary issues. Consider the following data available from the FCPS website and a school ratings site popular with parents, GreatSchools.org.
Poplar Tree ES
- Demographic Data
- Standardized Test Results - Students consistently perform well.
- Reported School Security Issues - The only reported issue is a disorderly student.
- GreatSchools Report
- Demographic Data - Half of the school is on free/reduced lunch, indicating a lower economic status of the community currently served.
- Standardized Test Results - There is a clear divide between the socially advantaged and disadvantaged at this school. Much of teachers' efforts will be put into bringing underperformers to baseline, neglecting those already performing at standard.
- Reported School Security Issues - The school reports a range of problems, from drugs/alchohol to weapons and assault charges.
- GreatSchools Report
3-bedroom and 4-bedroom recently sold home values between the affected neighborhoods and the areas currently served by Brookfield ES. Also consider the Fairfax County Crime Mapper, comparing the affected neighborhoods to Brookfield. There is a clear difference in value.
|October 2010 Reported Crimes around Brookfield area|
Linked is a historical implementation of boundary changes affecting high school students. That implementation affected only new enrolling students and transfers. It is unknown if currently enrolled students will be able to remain at their current schools.
Even if your household has no children in the school system, all of the affected neighborhoods are homes designed for families. Any future sale of your home will list Brookfield ES as the providing school, which will be a detractor for many potential buyers. That will limit the home's potential value on the market. The boundary study affects all property owners in the affected communities.
Linked is information on meetings accepting public comment on the proposed boundary implementations. Key meetings for our area are
Monday, October 25 7-9pm at Greenbrier West ES
Tuesday, October 26 7-9pm at Powell ES
Community members of Hunters Run, Marian Woods, Poplar Grove, and Poplar Park should attend one of these sessions and express their support for Option C against the reassignment of our neighborhoods to Brookfield ES. They should also contact their county representatives to express their views.
FCPS Sully District - Kathy Smith 571-423-1085
Fairfax County Supervisor Sully District - Michael Frey 703-814-7100.